1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced small
chicken stock (16 oz)
water (16 oz)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
3 pieces canadian bacon, diced
1 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
1 lemon (you will need both zest and juice of 1 lemon)
1. In a medium saucepan, heat water and chicken stock over low heat.
2. In large skillet (I used 4 qt saute pan), heat butter until it melts. Add onion, salt, and pepper until onion is soft and translucent. Pour rice into skillet and stir around, letting butter coat each grain of rice and slightly toasting the rice for 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to let rice burn!
3. Add about 1/3 cup of stock mixture, stirring constantly, until all liquid is absorbed.
4. Then, the process begins: Add 1/2 cup or so of the stock mixture, stirring until all liquid is absorbed. Once absorbed, then add in 1/2 cup intervals until all stock mixture is gone. This whole process lasts about 20-25 minutes until rice is al dente. Towards the end of the cooking process, add in peas and ham to just warm through.
5. Grate parmesan cheese and zest lemon. Add lemon juice to risotto and stir. Add parmesan cheese and zest in thirds, stirring to allow it to melt and meld into the dish. Taste to ensure doneness!
6. Serve in bowls with salad and crescent rolls. Perfect as a side dish as well for a main meat entree (we served them with burgers).